Cub Scout Uniform Hanger


It is getting close to the end of another Cub Scout year. This means more and more of our scouts are losing parts of their uniform or forgetting their books. On pinterst I found how to make a Scout Book hanging pocket (bluesusanmakes.blogspot.com). So, for the next few weeks I am using my sewing skills to solve lost Cub Scout uniform parts problems.








If you find yourself in a similar situation with your scout you might want to sew one for yourself.  Of course if you are not a sewer you can always purchase these custom hangers from lulascreations.com or my Etsy.com shop. (as soon as I get finished making for our 14 scouts)

To start you will need a medium weight fabric, bias tape and a hanger.

Cut your fabric to 11” X 20”



I embroidered each of our scouts name on each their pocket. If you don’t have an embroidery machine you can skip this step


Sew bias tape to one 11” side


Fold up 7” to form pocket then mark ¼ “seam. (I use a chalk pencil)


Fold edge toward back ¼” two times (where those marks come handy) press, and stitch


Press top 1/4 “toward back (you can mark this again if needed) press


Fold top 1” toward back and press again. Put on hanger, pin and stitch.


 To decrease sliding I sewed a second time closer to the hanger.

 
Hopefully this will decrease the number of scouts with lost rank beads, slides and neckerchiefs. This will make an excellent end of year gift to your scouts for all their hard work and accomplishments.
Just keep sewing

 

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for this! My Wolf (now going into Bears and now my younger son is going into Tigers) keeps losing his slider and book!

    This is awesome! I have some scouting fabric I've been hording for some time, think I'll break it out and make some for all the den!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! It would be cool with a special place (maybe a pocket?) just for the neckerchief slide. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop meetings to look for a slide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that making a small square knot under the slide helps keep them from falling off during den activities. One of the ladies at the Scout Shop taught me this when we first went in to purchase our uniform.

      Delete
  3. I put a safety pin in the neckerchief to keep the slide up. That way the neckerchief still lays nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion Heidi. I have not heard of using a safety pin. I am going to try it for our next meeting. -Acanthaster

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts